You know your loved one has an addiction. You know if they don’t receive professional help, the addiction will only get worse. But how do you convince an addict to take that difficult first step and enter a rehab facility?
Before we offer you five great online resources to help you understand the process and goals of intervention, we wanted to remind you of the basics every person who cares about an addict must know, whether or not they decide to pursue a formal intervention:
- You must educate yourself about the disease. Knowing how to deal with a loved one’s addiction requires understanding the disease. When you can recognize stages and patterns of addiction, you will be better prepared to respond.
- You can’t control an addict. But you can control your response to the addict and to the addiction. The addiction may have taken over your friend or family member’s life, but it does not have to take over yours. By setting boundaries and getting help for yourself from professionals and/or others who have been in your position, you will empower yourself to keep the addiction from swallowing your life too. You may not be able to control the addict’s behavior, but you can control its impact on your life and you can control how you respond to it.
- You need to research the options for rehabilitation and treatment, so that when the addict is ready for help, help is immediate. Most addicts are not in the state of mind to make important decisions like finding the right rehabilitation treatment center. One of the most important things you can do to help is to do this for them.
And now here are five must-read articles on intervention for everyone who longs to see their loved one in recovery:
- Mt. Regis Blog’s Intervention Tips: Yes, it’s out list of tips, and we think it’s pretty helpful. Find out what our experts have to say.
- How to Conduct an Effective Intervention: This helpful article points out the goals and the attitudes that should guide the intervention.
- Family Intervention: How It Works If you are looking for the pros and cons of interventions, you’ll find them here. Find out why some facilities don’t recommend this course of action.
- How to Stage an Intervention: This detailed guide contains specific information like choosing the intervention location and even where the addicted loved one should sit.
- Intervention: Help a Loved One Overcome Addiction: This MayoClinic article spells out advice for interventions in easy-to-understand language and a step-by-step guide.
Mt. Regis Center is a substance abuse rehabilitation center in Salem, Virginia, dedicated to providing you or your loved one with high quality recovery treatment. Please call 877-217-3447 to speak with a member of our staff. Or fill out this help form, and we will contact you right away.