At Mount Regis Center, our effective intensive outpatient program is designed to be flexible and individualized to meet our clients’ specific needs and treatment goals.
What Is IOP?
Intensive outpatient programming (IOP) is designed to provide patients with structured care that is more intensive than traditional outpatient therapy but less intensive than residential treatment. This program meets three hours a day, three days a week. Patients have the option of choosing to participate in our afternoon program or our evening program, depending on what works best with their schedules.
- Our afternoon IOP meets Monday, Tuesday, and Thursdays from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm at our Blacksburg location
- Our evening IOP meets Monday, Tuesday, and Thursdays from 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm at our Salem location
- Both locations offer a virtual option for patients who reside in the state of Virginia
- The time a patient spends in IOP will be based on their specific needs; however, the averaging programming length includes 18-24 sessions.
Who Can Take Part in IOP at Mount Regis Center?
Men and women ages 18 and older are eligible to receive IOP services at Mount Regis Center. Patients may use IOP as a step-up level of care from traditional outpatient therapy, or a step-down level of care from residential or partial hospitalization programming.
Admissions into our IOP will be determined on a case-by-case basis, but typically prospective patients must be struggling with at least one of the following:
- Continues to use drugs or alcohol despite negative consequences
- Lacks understanding of the disease model of addiction
- Lacks relapse prevention skills
- Is facing family, legal, and/or employment problems due to addiction
- Does not require a more restrictive level of care
What Does IOP Treat?
Intensive outpatient programming at Mount Regis Center is tailored for individuals who are battling addiction concerns. However, patients who are also suffering from certain co-occurring mental health conditions may receive tailored care in our IOP.
What Services Are Offered in IOP?
Group therapy is the foundation of our intensive outpatient program. These sessions are led by counselors and give patients an opportunity to give and receive support to and from one another. Examples of the topics that may be covered in these sessions include:
- Disease model of addiction recovery
- Early recovery strategies
- Relapse prevention
- Relationship issues in recovery
- Stress management
- Communication skills
Patients who take part in our intensive outpatient program can also receive individual therapy and family therapy on an as-needed or as-requested basis.